Why should you consider building a duplex?
When looking for ideas on what type of house to build on your land (either a new block or a knock-down rebuild block), perhaps you should consider building a duplex.
What is a duplex?
A duplex is often considered a residential building containing two homes that are attached along a common central wall, (also known as a party wall). As such they are usually a mirror image of each other in layout, but this is not mandatory.
Why build a duplex?
After facilitating over 300 duplex builds, ZAC Homes has seen the advantages of building a duplex – especially in the Sydney market.
- Take advantage of the whole block
- Reduce your building costs because you are building 2 at the same time
- Lower your stamp duty, holding fees, insurance costs and council rates
- Have no strata fees
- Offer higher tax depreciation
But the absolutely best reason to build a duplex is the ability to increase the money in your bank account! How? Well, when you build a duplex, you have the opportunity to:
- Gain two rental incomes instead of one OR
- Sell two homes instead of one OR
- Live in one and rent/sell the other to help cover the cost of building your new home
No matter which option you choose, you’ll still gain a financial advantage.
Things to consider when building a duplex
If building a duplex appeals to you, ask yourself the following questions before getting started:
- Do you have a viable budget?
- Is the size and orientation of your land suitable for a duplex?
- What duplex size and internal layout would you like?
- Will it include a garage or on street parking?
- What is the possible impact on neighbouring properties?
- What is the zoning of your land?
Knowing the answers to these questions will help you better plan your building project.
Setting yourself up for success
ZAC Homes is your local duplex expert. We can advise you on how to get the most value out of your project, including choosing the best size, position and house style. At ZAC Homes, we take care of everything including design, approvals, demolition (if required) and construction. We’re here to guide you every step of the way.
If you would like to explore the opportunities in building a duplex, give us a call today.