When looking for ideas on what type of house to build on your land (either a new block or a knock-down rebuild block), perhaps you should consider building a duplex.
What is a duplex?
A duplex is often considered a residential building containing two homes that are attached along a common central wall, (also known as a party wall). As such they are usually a mirror image of each other in layout, but this is not mandatory.
Why build a duplex?
After facilitating over 300 duplex builds, ZAC Homes has seen the advantages of building a duplex – especially in the Sydney market.
- Take advantage of the whole block
- Reduce your building costs because you are building 2 at the same time
- Lower your stamp duty, holding fees, insurance costs and council rates
- Have no strata fees
- Offer higher tax depreciation
But the absolutely best reason to build a duplex is the ability to increase the money in your bank account! How? Well, when you build a duplex, you have the opportunity to:
- Gain two rental incomes instead of one OR
- Sell two homes instead of one OR
- Live in one and rent/sell the other to help cover the cost of building your new home
No matter which option you choose, you’ll still gain a financial advantage.
Things to consider when building a duplex
If building a duplex appeals to you, ask yourself the following questions before getting started:
- Do you have a viable budget?
- Is the size and orientation of your land suitable for a duplex?
- What duplex size and internal layout would you like?
- Will it include a garage or on street parking?
- What is the possible impact on neighbouring properties?
- What is the zoning of your land?
Knowing the answers to these questions will help you better plan your building project.
Setting yourself up for success
ZAC Homes is your local duplex expert. We can advise you on how to get the most value out of your project, including choosing the best size, position and house style. At ZAC Homes, we take care of everything including design, approvals, demolition (if required) and construction. We’re here to guide you every step of the way.
If you would like to explore the opportunities in building a duplex, give us a call today.
Who doesn’t love the look and feel of Autumn? It’s the perfect time to take in nature’s amazing colours and be inspired! Autumn hues are also an amazing antidote to ease us into the long and sometimes gloomy winter days that lie ahead.
To bring autumn colours indoors, try these 7 great decorating tips.
- Enhance your new home’s neutral tones with pops of colour inspired by nature. Try hues of green and brown and bring them to life with earthy reds and rusts
- Make it cosy. Update your cushion covers, add fluffy or knitted throws and a floor rug – all in autumn hues – to enhance the feeling of warmth and cosiness in your home.
- Bring in a little nostalgia by including some ‘granny chic’ or ‘grandmillennial’ touches (where old becomes new). Choose a few vintage pieces, crocheted blankets or florals.
- Update your artworks. Choose pieces that create the mood you’re going for and reflect your autumn colour palette.
- Embrace the season of change by bringing the outdoors in. Start by adding a touch of green. If you have deciduous plants in your garden, bring the look inside by adding pieces that complement the red and golden tones of their leaves.
- Soften your lighting by changing cool white bulbs to warm light and adding candles. This will create a sense of comfort and security that not only matches the coming season but will leave you feeling warm, cosy and safe.
- To compliment your already inviting colour palette, give your home a dash of ‘wow factor’ by adding copper fittings or accessories such as light fittings, handles, taps and small appliances.
The ZAC Homes difference
With ZAC Homes, you get more than a builder. You get a partner to support you in creating a home that’s a haven with our in-house interior designer available to help you. Find out more by getting in touch or visit our display homes.
Many people dream of building their perfect home. However, before you purchase land, there are some important things to consider. Here are our top 5 tips when buying land for your new home.
- Location and amenities
Choosing a block of land requires more than just looking within your dream suburb. Remember to assess availability of basic services like water, electricity, gas, sewerage, internet and telephone. Next, look at your short and long-term needs like access to schools, childcare, shops, public transport, medical centres, parks and so on.
2. Established neighbourhood vs new development
Building in established neighbourhoods has advantages but also delivers a few unexpected considerations. For example, sites that have already been built on may be classified as infill sites. Infill sites can have debris which may increase your building costs. Your builder will also need to avoid disturbance to neighbouring properties and may have restricted access. This will make it more complicated to build on the land. In new developments, these matters are already accounted for.
3. Assessing the site
When choosing your land, there are several things you need to assess before you buy. These include:
- The zoning or any development restrictions on the block
- Ease of access during construction as well as your everyday use once you move in
- The shape and slope of the block
- The location of any trees (or garden beds if it’s an infill or knockdown-rebuild block)
- Any easements such as water, sewerage and communication services
4. Build type
What you build could also influence which block of land you choose. Your options include knockdown-rebuild, house and land package, project home or custom-built home (a one-off home designed and built just for you), a kit home or duplex.
5. Look to the future
There may be plans in place to change the look and feel of your preferred street or suburb such as road widening, government infrastructure projects and rezoning applications. These things could significantly impact the future value and enjoyment of your home. The same is true if you purchase land because of the view. You’ll need to investigate the possibility of the view being obscured in the future.
ZAC Homes offers a wide range of home building options to suit your needs, from building display homes to custom-designed homes, knockdown-rebuilds, duplexes and house and land packages. Get in touch with us if you’d like to start making your dream home a reality.
You’ve finally decided on a floor plan, now the fun begins! How do you make it your own? Time to start talking Interiors!
Start by looking at different styles, finishes and colour schemes. Our Zac Display Homes are a perfect way to start. Take note of how each home makes you feel. Ask yourself, can I see myself living here, does the Colour Palette fit in with my lifestyle. Were you more at home in a Modern, Classic, Hamptons, Industrial or Urban Styled home? It may seem so overwhelming, but remember, you won’t live in a Display House, you’ll live in a home.
So, why not combine Genres and Styles? There’s no rules when it comes to creating just the right look and feel for you and your family. Our Interior Designer will work with you to help bring it all together so that everything fits in harmoniously and looks absolutely amazing! Don’t hesitate to take inspiration from Social Media images, nature and anything else that grabs your interest. The more you have for us to work with the better! Designer’s love a good challenge!
Once the Primary Colour Palette has been decided, we’ll get to work. Picking out Kitchen Colour Schemes, Internal Paint Colours and fixtures such as tapware and appliances. You’ll lose yourself in our Studio Zac Colour Selection Studio and the plethora of items and inclusions on offer. Our Designer will guide you through the process and you’ll be amazed at how much we can get through in one day.
We’ve put together a few tips to help get you thinking.
- Will you base your Selections on a Neutral Palette, accessorising with Cushions, Throws, Artwork, Rugs and maybe even Wallpaper
- Will you base your Selections on a Dramatic Palette and keep a more neutral vibe flowing through the home. Think Linen soft furnishings and Sheer curtains.
- Are you thinking Tiles, Timber, Carpet, Hybrid? Flooring is such an important factor in the overall look and feel of your home. Don’t turn off Timber Laminate floors simply because you have young children and pets. We can offer some great products that will survive even the craziest of families! So, if that’s the look you want, go for it.
- Lighting is also a fantastic tool. Pendant lighting can totally change the look and feel of a room. Don’t stop with using them over the Kitchen Island Bench, take it up a notch and try pendants in the bathroom and Bedrooms. Soft pendant lighting can help set exactly the right mood.
- Don’t forget the practical side of lighting though. LED downlights are a great way to ensure adequate lighting for everyday living. Warm White helps create a warm cosy feel, Cool White is fantastic for use in practical working areas and Natural White is the perfect compromise, replicating Natural Light.
Let’s start making your dream home a reality.
If the idea of having a supporting hand with a great eye for design appeals to you, get in touch with ZAC Homes today.
What are your dreams for 2021?
If building a new home is on your wish list, you’ll want to read this … The government has extended the HomeBuilder Grant program until 31 March.
It’s great news for eligible owner-occupiers wanting to build a new home because it means you will be given a $15,000 grant to help you make your dreams come true.
To receive the grant, there are some eligibility criteria such as:
- The home must be your principal place of residence
- You must enter into the contract to build between 1 January – 31 March, 2021
- The value of the property must not exceed $950,000 if located in NSW
- Construction must commence within 6 months of the date the contract is signed
- You must be an Australian citizen 18 years or older
- You have until the 14 April 2021 to submit your HomeBuilder application to your local State Revenue Office
The HomeBuilder grant is NOT just for first home buyers. Anyone building a new home who meets the eligibility criteria can apply. That’s great news!
Where do you start?
Often the simplest way to build the new home of your dreams is to take advantage of a House and Land Package. ZAC Homes have a number of designs that fall below the value cap – yet everything you can imagine is included.
With over 20 years’ experience, the ZAC Homes team makes building your new home easy. You’ll have a dedicated Client Liaison Officer to help you every step of the way and answer any questions you may have. You’ll also have a site manager who ensures every aspect of building your new home is streamlined and efficient.
Depending on the option you choose, your ZAC House and Land package offers a choice of:
- 3 or 4 bedrooms
- 2 or 2.5 bathrooms
- 1 or 2 car garage
- An alfresco area
- Caesarstone bench tops in the kitchen
- Additional fittings such as carpet, blinds and soft landscaping of lawns and basic garden beds
All kitchen appliances have a 5-year guarantee and your new home comes with a 25 year structural guarantee. You can see the ZAC House and Land Package designs at Marsden Park and Box Hill or visit their website for more information.
We love seeing the joy when construction begins on a customer’s new home and their excitement when we handover the keys. Nothing beats it. But there’s something that comes close and that’s being recognised for our excellence in design and craftsmanship.
That’s why the HIA Awards are so special and we’re very excited to announce that the ZAC Homes team won 2 in 2020!
HIA Best Kitchen and Display Home, 2020
In Marsden Park, our California Design won Best Kitchen and Display Home.
With a design brief to create something unlike other project homes, this home offers 4 good sized bedrooms – 3 on the first floor and 1 on the ground floor with access to a private courtyard.
The general theme for the California interior was taken directly from its mid-century inspired façade. Throughout the home you’ll find natural elements of stone and timber however the kitchen and alfresco areas are the standouts.
The kitchen has an island bench that’s 3m wide x 1m deep to form the central hub of your home and provide a vast area for entertaining and food preparation. But it’s the aesthetics of the island that you may find most appealing. Waterfall ends and a unique bronze mirrored kickboard gives the island a floating appearance.
The design of the California’s kitchen is topped off with a matt black undermount sink and matching tapware. This is repeated in the Butler’s Pantry where the materials and finishes in the kitchen are repeated.
The alfresco area has a complete kitchen with Bio-Wood spotted gum on the ceiling for a dramatic and stylishly different look. For a seamless transition from inside to out, we designed something quite unique – recessed stacker doors that disappear into the wall cavity.
In all, the California was recognised by the HIA for its bold, edgy, modern and totally liveable design as well as the quality workmanship that can be seen throughout.
HIA Best Kitchen under 15m, 2020
Designed with young families and empty nesters in mind, the Sorento has a kitchen with real WOW factor as well as function.
When choosing the colour palette, we used the 2018 Pantone Colour of the Year (Ultra Violet) and the 2019 Pantone Colour of the Year (Living Coral). For warmth, we introduced copper tones in the undermounted sink, mixer tap, upper cabinets, splashback tiles, island pendants and in a cut out feature on the front of the island.
But this is just the beginning of the stylish features you’ll find throughout. The Sorento is also on display at Marsden Park.
While winning these awards is exciting for us, it should also provide confidence that you’re in safe hands. That’s because the judging criteria emphasises quality workmanship and design effectiveness ahead of visual appeal.
To learn more about the ZAC Homes California or Sorento display homes, get in touch or visit our Display Homes.